I’m a big fan of Deer & Doe, so I was super excited about the new (free!) pattern, the Plantain t-shirt. Serendipitously the pattern was released while my husband and I were on our honeymoon in New Zealand (more on that soon!). The day before we had been to The Fabric Store in Dunedin, but I was so overwhelmed by the sheer multitude of gorgeous apparel fabric that I couldn’t decide what to buy. The next morning this pattern was released and I knew I had to go back and get this black and white striped 100% merino wool knit.
I sewed a size 34 with no alterations. The pattern comes with either short, 3/4, or long sleeves. I really like 3/4 length sleeves (because if I wear a long-sleeved shirt I always end up pushing the sleeves up anyway) so that’s what I went with.
I like elbow patches in theory, but not always in practice, so I decided to go the subtle route and instead of using a different fabric to make them I just used vertical stripes instead of horizontal.
The scoop neckline is really flattering and comfortable. It’s finished with a band, which I actually had no trouble getting to lay flat this time! Probably due to the fact that I…
…finally got a serger (yay!) and this is the first garment I’ve sewn with it. I’ve always been kind of intimidated by sergers, but it actually only took about 30 minutes to figure out how to use it. I love the way the finished seam looks – so much neater!
If you’ve never used a Deer & Doe pattern before you should definitely try this one out! Their instructions are very detailed and the fit is always excellent. Plus this pattern’s free, so you’ve got nothing to lose!
I’ve known about Colette Patterns since I first started sewing about 1 1/2 years ago. I’d considered buying some of their patterns before because I knew they were supposed to be both pretty and user-friendly, but there was never anything that I just had to have. Style-wise I’m more of a Deer & Doe girl.
However, I’m really excited about Walden, their new line of menswear and unisex patterns. When I saw the Cooper Backpack I knew my husband would love it. My first ever sewing project was making a backpack for him by sewing overall straps to an old ’50s boy scout bag. Said bag is in pretty bad shape after everyday use and a backpacking trip through Europe, so I thought a new backpack would be a great Christmas present!
The green canvas and webbing were repurposed from an old army duffel bag we acquired somewhere. The tan canvas and blue ripstop lining came from the fabric store. And the hardware came from Colette’s Gifts for Crafters store. Unfortunately one of the metal slides for the straps was the wrong size, but I was quickly sent a replacement when I alerted them to the problem.
I made self-fabric straps because I couldn’t find any webbing I liked locally and I didn’t want to wait for an online order. However, I really like the way the ended up looking, and I think I prefer the canvas straps to the webbing.
I’d definitely recommend this pattern. It comes with three variations – backpack, messenger bag, and pannier. The instructions are excellent and have tons of illustrations, plus there are photo tutorials online. There are 8(!) roomy pockets, which my husband loves.
I may have to make a version for myself sometime soon…
I made these shorts from a pattern for pants in the US edition of BurdaStyle magazine. I got the fabric on sale… I think it’s some sort of wool blend.
They were super simple to make. One of the reasons I chose this pattern was because it has an invisible side zipper. I just haven’t been able to master the art of the fly zip. If you know of any good tutorials, let me know in the comments!
I like that these shorts don’t have pockets – just nice, clean lines.
I’ve decided my favorite things to sew are buttondown shirts. I know that’s kind of strange – most people seem to sew tons of pretty skirts and dresses. And I like to sew those things too, but there’s just something about taking a really rigid, standardized form as your base and altering the details in tiny ways to make the shirt unique that I love. This shirt is loosely based on a BurdaStyle pattern, but I’ve altered almost everything about it.
The collar is a self-drafted men’s shirt collar that I’ve slightly rounded the corners of. The pockets are also a down-sized version of pockets I drafted for a men’s shirt.
The contrast stitching looks brown, but is actually a dark olive green. I had to be so careful sewing, knowing that every little stitch would show!
This shirt is so soft/comfortable/warm! I could (and have been) living in it all winter.
I learned how to sew in 2012, but didn’t really start making clothing until January 2013. It’s been almost a year now and I’m just as excited about sewing now as I was then! I’ve been sharing my projects on BurdaStyle (which you can see here), but now I’ve decided to start my own blog as well!
I’m planning on posting all my finished projects here, without going into too much detail on the construction aspect. Mainly because I’m lazy, but also because there are already lots of great sewing tutorial blogs out there.
Hopefully my projects will inspire you, or at least interest you. And if you have any questions about my work feel free to send me a message!