I’m so excited to be participating in Me-Made-May for the first time this year! It’s strange to think that at this time last year I’d only made four garments for myself, but now (after some Wardrobe Architect-induced spring cleaning) my closet is about 75% me-made.
My pledge is as follows:
‘I, Lindsay, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May ’14. I endeavor to wear at least one handmade garment each day for the duration of May 2014. In addition, I plan on taking a picture of my outfit every day and posting weekly round-ups on my blog.’
At this point I think I am wearing at least one thing I’ve sewn most days, but this challenge, for me anyway, is all about mindfulness. I’m hoping to discover which garments I get the most use out of and identify any gaps in my wardrobe, so when I plan new makes I’ll be sure to create something useful as well as aesthetically pleasing.
Are you participating in Me-Made-May? Leave me a link to your blog in the comments!
Things I love about making t-shirts: 1. Super fast 2. Super easy 3. Super comfortable and wearable finished product
I made this shirt using the free Hemlock Tee pattern from Grainline Studio. It’s a one-size-fits-all pattern, and as I’m pretty petite it’s definitely slouchy and over-sized (read: insanely comfortable) on me.
I followed Jen’s tutorial to make the shirt, including the colorblocking bit. Although for the neckline I sewed one shoulder first, then attached the band, and then sewed the other shoulder. I think that method’s easier than sewing both shoulders first and then sewing the neckband in the round.
The dark gray fabric is a hacci knit from Girl Charlee (available here) and the purple jersey is from an old dress of mine. They’re both so soft. You can’t see the texture of the hacci knit very well in these pictures, but it’s a really interesting fabric. It has more of an open weave than most knits.
I shortened the shirt by a good 4-5″, as it was almost long enough to be a mini-dress on me (I’m 5′ 4″). I also shortened the sleeves, but I think the length they’re at looks kind of awkward. I might shorten them some more or just remove them entirely. What do you think?
After the success of my Lady Skater peplum I decided to make an actual dress from the pattern. From doing the Wardrobe Architect exercises I knew that I had a need in my wardrobe for a neutral-colored, short-sleeved knit dress. I still wanted it to have some visual interest, so I decided to go with stripes. However, I realized that because of the shape of the skater skirt the stripes would slope downwards at the sides instead of going straight across, which wasn’t the look I was going for. So I ended up not using the skater skirt after all. Oh well, I’ll get to it one day!
I did a search for dresses similar to the one I was thinking of and found this one by Madewell, one of my favorite clothing brands:
In order to recreate the look I used the bodice from the Lady Skater dress and made a simple box-pleat skirt out of two rectangles of fabric for the bottom.
The fabric is a black and cream 1/2″ stripe knit from Girl Charlee (sold out, but similar fabrics here).
I made the side panels by putting on my Lady Skater peplum inside-out and marking a rough outline of where the panels should be. Then I transferred those marks to the pattern and smoothed out the line using a French curve. After that I simply cut along the line and added seam allowance to create the new pattern pieces, and I taped the old one back together.
I really love the look of the side panels. They create a great hourglass effect.
The original version of this dress was $118. My copycat version: $13. You can’t beat a deal like that.
The Archer‘s back for it’s second (of what’s sure to be many) appearances! I made this version short-sleeved (because Texas, summer) and I left off the pockets. Otherwise my last version was pretty perfect fit-wise, so the only change I made to this shirt was to shorten it by about an inch.
The fabric is Robert Kaufman dot chambray in indigo from Hawthorne Threads. I’d had my eye on this fabric for months and I’m so glad I finally bought it. It’s soft, lightweight, high-quality, and looks even better in person.
Looking around for inspiration, I realized I wasn’t the first person to make an Archer from this material. Laney from Katy & Laney and Emily from Seymour both made versions last summer! Great minds think alike, right?
I love the collar on this pattern – it’s the perfect size! And Jen’s video tutorial on attaching the collar stand correctly was so helpful. I’ve always struggled with that with that step because I didn’t know about the weird little trick you had to do. I’m still not exactly sure what happens, but it definitely works!
Is it bad that I’m already planning my next Archer? There’s this pinstripe shirting at Jo-Ann’s that I know would just be perfect…
This is the fifth men’s shirt I’ve made from my tried-and-true BurdaStyle pattern from Sewing Vintage Modern. Numbers 1 – 4 can be seen here, here, here, and here. On this version I left off the collar to make it more of a mandarin-style shirt. I also omitted pockets and made it short sleeved so it can be worn in the (fast-approaching) summer.
I bought this green-gray chambray at a new fabric store called The Cloth Pocket during the Austin Fabric Shop Hop last month. They stock this chambray fabric in an array of colors, and it was such a nice weight and so easy to work with that I may have to go back and get some more.
The best thing about making clothes for my husband is that I get to take the project pictures! I’d much rather be behind the lens. And he’s such a natural model anyway!
Maybe I can get him to start modeling my clothes as well… ;)